Friday, April 02, 2010

I believe in Karma

The week started off really shaky - in every sense of it. First was work. For the first time 29 gave me quite a big problem. Haiz. I scolded them on Tuesday in hope that they will read through their lecture notes more thoroughly and do their tutorials/assignments. After lesson they came to apologise to me for their bad attitude in class. And so I was optimistic about Wednesday. So Wednesday came. And to my dismay, tutorials were still only half done and assignments still no where in sight. So once again, that lesson was more or less wasted. I didn't want to go through the tutorials since most didn't even attempt it. It's not me to give free answers. So I just completed the last qn on Binomial and that's it. Sometimes it's really quite frustrating. I know 29 is a weaker class in terms of their abilities in grasping math concepts, so I actually go much slower in class in hope that they will get what I'm explaining. In addition, I give them the most consultations after school and the least assignments. I also try to strengthen their foundation 1st before attempting to stack more content on them. But they don't seem to know how to help themselves! 29's the class that I really don't want to scold, but I guess that's the thing I should do to wake them up. Sian.

Ok that's only half the sian-ness. 12's giving me headaches too. I gotta admit 12 is actually a good class. Just that there are 4 of them in the class that's totally disruptive and they are extremely influential. They make their surrounding peeps equally rowdy. I scolded them on Wednesday too! You know it's extremely tiring to scold 2 classes consecutively? But I just had to do it. More than half the class did not do their assignments/tutorials, so I made them do on the spot. Tutorial time wasted again. Their civics tutor was like asking me to throw all those that don't do tutorials out of the class. But I'm still quite reluctant to do so. I'm still quite optimistic about the class.

To end off my misery, on Wednesday, Imperial College sent me an email to fully withdraw from my place there! Just in time to add fuel to the flame. You know most engineers aspire to get a place to study in a top engineering institute like Imperial College, but for me, I have a place there but I'm giving it up just because of my stubborn-ness. I didn't want to just get any scholarship just to go there to study. So my parents suggested to fund my education at Imperial. But my stubborn-ness got in the way and I turned them down. Damn that email made me think whether it was the right choice to turn down such a prestigious engineering college. In front of my parents and friends, I probably say that I'm fine with going to NUS to do my engineering and business double degree, but down there, there's always that little bit of regret. Anyway I got over it and carried on with my life.

But life's quite fair I guess. After losing some things, you are bound to gain some in return. An email from NUS encapsulated all my wishes and aspirations:

1 April 2010

                                                                                                                                                            Sent by email: pengsoon89@hotmail.com

Dear Mr Tan Peng Soon (HP 91760704),

Offer of Admission to the NUS Global Engineering Program

Congratulations!  We are pleased to inform you that you have been offered a place in our Global Engineering Program (GEP) to pursue Chemical Engineering. Your academic abilities, involvement in co-curricular activities, personal qualities and passion for engineering have demonstrated to us that you are deserving of admission into the GEP. We also note your potential with regard to leadership in the future, and this aligns with our Faculty’s desire to nurture Engineer-Leaders

As there have been many highly qualified applicants for the limited number of places in the Program, competition for the GEP has been very keen, and the GEP Selection Committee has had to be very discerning in reaching its conclusions. We are confident that you are deserving of admission to the Program and trust that with the help of the mentor who will be assigned to you, your experience in the GEP will prove to be exciting, challenging, meaningful and a defining phase of your learning journey.
             
If you have not already received a letter from our Office of Admissions offering you a scholarship, then one is on its way and should reach you soon. We would appreciate it if you could kindly let us know whether you will be accepting our GEP offer by 1 May 2009 (email to Miss Devi at engvdevi@nus.edu.sg). Please feel free to share with us any feedback you might have, and should you need any clarification, do contact me by email or telephone. Do note that you have to drop out of the DDP to be placed under the GEP.

Once again, congratulations on being offered admission to this highly competitive and prestigious Global Engineering Program. I look forward to welcoming you to the Faculty and seeing NUS enable you to realize your full potential.  


With best wishes,


Professor Quek Ser Tong
Chairman, Global Engineering Program Committee
Faculty of Engineering
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2 #E1A-07-03

All of a sudden, all my dreams became reality! Firstly, I got into the GEP. And that means a hell lot to me. Firstly, I will get an exchange programme to a good partner University which I hope is Imperial. Haha. That will be in 2012, just in time for the London Olympics. Haha. Oh and Vincent  and Joe should be there too, so I can save on an accommodation! Haha. Sounds damn cheapskate but I need it. Secondly, I have a chance to do my Masters at a renowned engineering college of my choice after my Bachelor's! That's way beyond my imagination! Totally a surprise for me. I told my Dad about this and he was like "serious?" I guess my Dad can understand how difficult and much of a dream to study at top engineering colleges like Massachusetts Institute of Technology, California Institute of Technology, University of California at Berkley, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign and Imperial College London. To my dad, that was a dream that never came through. But my chance is here and I really hope that I can really get into one of these top engineering colleges to do my Masters. Thirdly, I applied for a few scholarships with EDB and ExxonMobil and I didn't get them. Instead, now NUS is offering me a bond-free scholarship! And only my masters is bonded! I can  finally fulfill one of my dreams of being financially independent! Fourthly, it reaffirms the decisions in life that I've made for myself thus far. Whether it's about my stubborn-ness that turned out to be beneficial, or every little detail of my life. It's amazing how things can turn for the better in just one single email!

And I'm telling you good things do come in packages. Haha. After reading that email, I went to class feeling happy as ever, and taught happily! Haha. I did not scold 12 yesterday! Coz they surprised me by doing their tutorials and assignments. And although I called for their files last minute, almost all of them brought it! It's amazing. Haha. Anyway feeling all satisfied, I managed to cover quite a bit in class. Haha. Then I went to 07. As per normal they are an absolutely dear class. Haha. Always looked forward to this class. Haha. Almost everyone's complete their assignments/tutorials. Haha. I treat them more like my younger siblings. Haha.

And after that, it was Sports Day! Haha. All new staff had to join and yupz, it was quite fun I must say! Haha. Yes It definitely must be bored just watching, but joining in is really fun! Hahaha. And surprisingly (or not), I got a medal for running in the 8x100m staff race! Hahaha. Nothing really competitive but it was really good entertainment. Haha. Reached home pretty late but it was indeed a long but really happy day for me. Haha. Haven't felt this happy since my A Level results 2 years ago. Haha. Life's all fair.

And this is why I do believe in Karma=D

No comments: